You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:
Description:
[[File:6940942814 f84ced6161 o.jpg|left|thumb]] According to the Gawler History Team member Pat Sheahan, the name “St Peter and Paul’s Gawlertown” seems to have been first used in 1849 in a Parish Register, though the Catholics already had a cottage where Mass was celebrated. In October 1849, a Cistercian was appointed Paris h Priest and soon began planning and literally building a Church, with the foundation stone laid on April 2nd 1850. But by the 1890’s, Gawler had outgrown that Church, so, reluctantly, the Parish moved across the road for Mass in the Parish School while the old Church was demolished and the present one built. By this time, the large Parish was cared for by another religious order, the Carmelites, as we can see on the Italian marble foundation stone, laid in December 1897. On another hot day in October 1898, the new Church was officially opened; gas lights and all. Over the next few years, stained glass windows replaced the original ones, including two by E. F. Troy, behind the main altar. A fund for completing the interior of the Church was used during the Depression years to add a ceiling and panelling in the sanctuary. Further changes followed Vatican 11. Later a ramp was added at the side for wheel-chair access. More recently, thanks to the local sculptor Judith Rolevink, and to generous parishioners, statues of St Paul [2012] and St Peter [2015] stand in the niches left for them in 1898. The Parish is now cared for by another religious order, the Salesians of Don Bosco. Please [http://www.flickr.com/photos/gawler_history/sets/72157629522177568 click here] to view the photos of the Catholic Church. Further photos of this Church can be seen in our article "Churches in Gawler and South Australia" and go to "Churches - Sth Aust- Ga" ===== Good Samaritan Convent ===== The convent is closely linked to the Catholic church, [https://www.flickr.com/photos/gawler_history/albums/72157673916437040 click here] to view photographs. Please [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zaeTLo-D1ZCsYbyto752ThYclmg6Bc7U/view?usp=sharing click here] to view historical information from the 1998 Danvers Heritage Survey regarding this location. <<sup>1</sup>> . The fields below can each contain multiple values. Separate them with a comma.
My name:
Add another
Save page Cancel