Edson (Cr) Charles
| Type of person | Individual |
|---|---|
| Date of birth | 1834 |
| Place of birth | Woolwich, Kent |
| Date of arrival | 1848 |
| Principal occupation | Wheelwright |
Charles Edson was Councillor for East Ward in 1867 and then between 1869 and 1870.
Born at Woolwich, Kent in 1834. Came to Gawler in 1848 and commenced his term of apprenticeship as a wheelwright with the late Hon Hames Martin on August 1 of that year. Went to the Victorian gold diggings in 1852. Was away for four months. When he returned, made a fresh arrangement with Mr Martin and completed his term of apprenticeship. Remained with that gentleman until he left Gawler in 1876. Was foreman of the wheelwrights and of the Agricultural Department for three or four years
The first time he took part in political matters was when he joined the league established in Adelaide by the late John Howard Clark to do away with the Wakefield system. That provided for half the money received from the sale of land being applied to the introduction of immigrants and the other half directed to public works. A large amount of money had come into South Australia from the Victorian goldfields and there was extensive purchase of land, but the conditions were such that the State could not absorb all the labour that was imported, and many immigrants reshipped to Melbourne. Eventually Parliament was induced to abrogate the system and vote the sum, actually necessary for immigration. This was in the sixties.
He took a leading part in establishing the defence movement. Was Secretary. Took a leading part in the defence movement when the volunteer forces were recognised and served three years under Captain James Martin.
Charles Edson took a leading part in the movement which culminated in the adoption of the eight hours system in the machine shops of Gawler.
He was in the Town Council for a time. During his term he suggested that the Commissioner of Public Works should be asked to increase the height of the tower of the post office, then being built, and provide openings for clock faces. This having been done, Councillor Frankel and he canvassed for subscriptions for a town clock and were successful.
While in the Council he proposed that Duffield Street be cut down and banked in the middle. This put an end to the deposits of sand in Murray Street from flood waters. At that time Calton Road drainage was conveyed to the river by a large spoon drain in Walker Place. This was a nuisance and at Councillor Edson’s suggestion the underground drain was lengthened 40 ft to the riverbed and the drainage diverted into it. The riverbank was then extended and improved by the deposit of rubbish.
Mr Edson was one of the founders of the Good Templars Lodge and an active worker for the Oddfellows and Foresters. He passed through the chairs in both orders. Left Gawler in 1876 and started farming at Port Victoria. Remained there until 1905, when, owing to his wife’s health, he removed to Adelaide for better medical attention. She subsequently died. Mr Edson ilived at Beverley,.
Memories of Edson (Cr) Charles
Do you remember Edson (Cr) Charles ? Then Join up and add your memory here.