Gawler Terrace 9
| Place type: | Building |
|---|---|
| Address: | 9 Gawler Terrace |
| Town or Locality: | Gawler South |
DESCRIPTION:
This single-storey, double-fronted Victorian villa with projecting bay is constructed of coursed dressed bluestone with a tuck-pointed finish, and random rubble to side walls, with brick quoins and dressings. The villa displays quality masonry, Gawler-style late-Victorian detailing in its moulded brick dressings. The transverse gable roof with projecting gable is clad with corrugated galvanised iron. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes and are paired to the projecting bay with pediment hood mould. The door is timber panelled with a semi-circular arched head and leadlight glazing to the fanlight. The chimneys are of red face brick with corbeled caps. Rendered splayed entrance steps, with low walls and end piers, provide access to the verandah featuring convex profile corrugated galvanised iron supported on timber posts with cast-iron brackets. A non-original brick and timber picket fence defines the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed in two phases from the late 1870s for local blacksmith, James Lawson, the Victorian-era villa at 9 Gawler Terrace is associated with the intense settlement and growth patterns of the suburban township of Gawler South as a result of Gawler’s peak period of prosperity. Driven by a vast development in Gawler’s service industries and industrial activity, residential settlement peaked during the 1870s and ‘80s. The villa displays fine and largely intact local stone, brick and cast iron embellishment in a distinctively ‘Gawler’ composition
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
A portion of Section 3, Hundred of Nuriootpa was laid out as ‘Gawler South’ in 1858. The land on both sides of Gawler Terrace had originally been surveyed and subdivided, however only the allotments on the western side were ultimately developed with dwellings, affording views over the South Para River to those dwellings which were constructed.
The irregularly shaped Allotments 326 and 327 originally extended from Gawler Terrace to Ford Street (now First Street). It appears that the lots were subdivided in 1878 and Part Allotments 326 and 327 were transferred to James Lawson, Blacksmith. The first stage of the currently dwelling, a double-fronted symmetrical cottage, was likely constructed around this time with the projecting gabled bay some years later during the 1880s or ‘90s.
Please <click here> to view photos of 9 Gawler Terrace.
Acknowledgments
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks:
Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
www.flightpatharchitects.com.au
.
Related Articles
References
Memories of Gawler Terrace 9
Do you remember Gawler Terrace 9 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.









